Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Pentacostal Experience

I've been raised pretty much in the Assembly of God Church, so hearing people speak in other languages that they don't actually know themselves is not really unusual for me. I pray in other languages daily and it's simply part of my life. I have heard over the years of people having a person speak into their life via another language (one the hearer knew and the speaker didn't). Members of my own family have had it happen. I've heard snippets of things that I thought I recognized, but never before have I experienced being let in on a conversation with God that I was not part of before. A minister has been visiting our church for the past week and I honestly don't know him personally. I do know English is the only language that he understands. He was praying in toungues next to me at the alter tonight and started repeating the same line over and over and over. It caught my attention. After the line had my attention I realized it was spanish, you know that really fast native spanish that we second language learners have trouble with. After about the third time I was starting to get the gist and after the twenty something time I finally understood. As soon as I 'got it' the person praying went on in another language. It was interesting to me that with my limited spanish vocabulary, God still took the time to have someone repeat a phrase again and again and again, until I understood. It wasn't an earth shattering revelation. It was simply that 'We all of us have a voice, don't let ours be average and lost in the crowd. Let our voices glorify the Lord'. A simple message really, but exactly what I needed. I needed to hear to speak out, don't just fit in, but to allow God to use me to glorify him. And God in a unique way, one of His ways, allowed me not only to hear it, but in a way that I can not doubt, and through someone who has no idea that God used them to speak to me. I don't know if I will ever see this person again. But If I do, I hope that before then I will be given opportunity to Speak up, not let my voice be lost in the crowd, but use it to Glorify the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment